Ivy Tech Community College First-Generation College Celebration
2017 First-Generation College Celebration
In 2017, Ivy Tech Community College hosted a First-Generation College Celebration as part of the campus's WOW Wednesday events. This event included lunch, a diverse panel consisting of staff members who were first-gen students, as well as featured Q&A session following the panel. The overarching theme centered around Dr. Seuss' book "Oh, The Places You'll Go!" Additionally, the student organization- TRIO Leadership Council promoted the event around campus. A proud moment was seeing the local media featured a release about the celebration. Click here to view the release.
2018 First-Generation College Celebration
Gaining momentum from the 2017 celebration, this year's plan includes a weeklong celebration. The goal is to raise awareness surrounding the first-generation student experience and challenges, as well as opportunities to help first-gen students feel included and embraced by the Ivy Tech community.
Here are some details about each day:
- On Monday November 5, the weeklong event will kick-off with an email campaign featuring "1st Gen" stories, advice from previously interviewed first-generation faculty and staff. Each day of the week a campus-wide email will be sent featuring these interviews accompanied by a poster campaign.
- On Tuesday, November 6, there will be a "Chalk Walk." First-generation students will be invited to write messages in chalk around campus offering helpful tips, words of encouragement, and motivational quotes for first-gen students.
- On Wednesday, November 7, the TRIO Leadership Council student organization will host an event featuring a First-gen student panel, lunch, as well as resource fair featuring campus resources.
- On Thursday, November 8, the plan is to partner with local four-year institutions with TRIO programs to conduct a First-gen Student Rally. First-generation students will be invited to create signs and help raise awareness about the first-gen student experience. Participants will also receive a t-shirt for the rally.
- On Friday, the weeklong celebration will culminate with a small thank you luncheon for all participants. This will serve as a great opportunity for first-gen students, staff, and faculty to create a longlasting relationship and bolster student support!