2022 First-Gen Week at Lee College
JJ N'ganga M.Ed., Lee College / The Center / February 01, 2023
This year for First-Gen Week, the First Year Experience team was able to impact over 300 students. Additionally, we had over 100 empowering statements across campus that students were able to identify with and feel encouraged by. We also awarded a $1,000 in scholarships, while focusing on taking a holistic approach.
As a result, we:
- provided a space for first-gen students and employees to empower other first-gen students while also educating our campus on how to best support them through a first-gen panel;
- connected students to resources in an innovative way–Bingo;
- addressed imposter syndrome through activities focusing on positive affirmation, meditation, and reflection–I am Strong! Worthy! And I will Succeed!;
- offered families more guidance on the transfer process through a Family Transfer Fair;
- discussed issues and solutions regarding systems in place in our society and how it affects our students’ various identities through a "Real Talk" discussion; and
- served the community through a food distribution event.
Even though First Gen week is over, our institution maintains its commitment to supporting our students. Go Navigators and continue to #CelebrateFirstGen!
Lee College's 2022 First-Generation College Celebration was made possible by a $500 grant from the Center for First-generation Student Success and the Council for Opportunity in Education. Learn more about their celebration here!