Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine's First-Generation College Celebration
To kick off the 2018 First-Generation College Celebration, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine (GCSOM) assembled a First-Generation College Celebration planning subcommittee! The subcommittee consisted of Dr. Vicki T. Sapp, Amy Kline, Mary Triano, Gina Osif, and Kelly Ca.
The subcommittee identified and executed the following initiatives:
- Designed and distributed GCSOM Bookmarks defining first-generation students, and for students to have as a keepsake;
- Purchased and distributed "I’m First" lapel pins and stickers to faculty, staff, and student committee members who identify as first-generation student/graduate;
- Started a food pantry to address food insecurity and hosted the Kick-off event where faculty and staff were invited to donate on November 8;
- Hosted an on-campus Scavenger Hunt and raffled off prizes to the first 10 students who completed the hunt;
- Invited faculty and staff to serve as Allies, Resource Person, and Mentors;
- Welcomed first-generation students, faculty, and staff to write their stories, including first-generation student allies to write why they support first-generation students in a blurb box. There were 31 students, faculty, and staff who identify as first-generation offer their narratives, and 21 students, faculty and staff who identified as allies shared why they support first-generation students. Blurbs were posted across campus;
- Designed and plan to distribute GCSOM First-gen Ally and GCSOM First-gen Mentor lapel pins and stickers in an effort to grow awareness across GCSOM community;
- Distributed copies of the First-generation Guidebook. The Guidebook includes a personal letter from the senior leadership of the medical school to first-generation students and a list of faculty and staff allies; resource point-persons and mentors; pictures and biographies of well-known first-generation college graduates; discounts for local stores, shops, restaurants; and inspirational and supportive and encouraging quotes.
To ensure that our efforts are sustainable, GCSOM has assembled the GCSOM First-Generation Student Support Committee which is broken down into a number of subcommittees with the mission of supporting first-generation students with their transition to and through medical school. Below are the subcommittees:
- Meet and Greet Subcommittee
- Food Pantry
- First-Generation College Celebration
- Celebration of Achievement