The University of Iowa's First-Generation College Celebration
2021 First-Generation College Celebration
In 2021, the University of Iowa will continue its tradition of participating in the National First-Generation College Celebration by celebrating over the course of a full week, with departments and colleges and student orgs from across campus hosting events from November 8 - 12. The week will include a training session for faculty and staff, lunches with a dean, panel discussions, social events, a "wear your UI first-gen t-shirt" day and group photo, and more. In addition, on November 11, the university will host the 3rd annual 1stGen@Iowa Awards and Recognition Ceremony. More information can be found here and here. A full schedule of events is available here.
2019 First-Generation College Celebration
In 2018, the University of Iowa joined the celebration by hosting an entire week of activities across campus (as opposed to a single day), and plans are already being made for similar participation again this year.
Also, the UI First-Generation Task Force is also pleased to announce the establishment of four 1stGen@Iowa Awards, which will be presented during the first annual First-Generation Student Awards and Recognition Ceremony on November 8. These awards recognize first-generation student achievements as well as outstanding advocacy and support efforts of faculty and staff.
- The First-Generation Student Achievement Award will honor one first-generation undergraduate student and one first-generation graduate or professional student who has pursued and met ambitious educational goals and demonstrated commitment to academic excellence.
- The Award for Outstanding First-Generation Student Advocacy will honor one faculty member and one staff member who support first-generation students’ education and serve as an exemplary advocate for first-generation students at the University of Iowa.
A full schedule of events will be posted on our website.
2018 First-Generation College Celebration
In 2018, the University of Iowa’s inaugural participation in the National First-Generation College Celebration was marked by an entire week of activities across campus.
Examples of events included:
- two screenings of the First Generation film;
- departmental trainings and data-sharing sessions;
- FAFSA and financial literacy workshops;
- opportunities for students to share their experiences via wall postings;
- multiple coffee breaks or luncheons with college deans, graduate student socials;
- panel discussions;
- an open mic gathering;
- social media postings;
- university counseling discussions designed specifically for first-generation students; and
- TA trainings.