Rashné Jehangir, Ph.D.
Associate Professor; Robert H. Beck Chair of Ideas, University of Minnesota
Rashné Jehangir, PhD. is an Associate Professor of Higher Education and the Robert H. Beck Chair of Ideas in the College of Education and Human Development at the University of Minnesota—Twin Cities. She began her career as an advisor for first-generation, low income college students in the federally funded SSS TRIO program at the University of Minnesota. Her research and praxis interests focus on experience of low-income, first-generation students, critical pedagogy and identity development; learning communities and design and structure of undergraduate programs including First Year Experience Programs and partnerships with student services, advising and student affairs.
As a scholar practitioner, she is particularly interested in how research influences practice in student development, pedagogy and advising and is equally interested in how praxis informs research and illuminates gaps that are worthy of inquiry toward justice and equity. Considering the intersectionality and positionality of first-gen identity and the specific context of our institutions and programs is critical to her work. Her current research includes photo voice study of experience and identities of first-gen, low-income college students, NSF-funded study of mentoring for underrepresented students in STEM fields and the experience of first-gen students in graduate school.
Jehangir teaches in the First Year Experience program in the college and in the Higher Education graduate programs. She is also the Director of Undergraduate Studies in the Department of Organizational Policy, Leadership and Development, Her scholarship is featured in several journals including Journal of College Student Development, Innovative Higher Education, Urban Education and the Journal of the First-Year Experience and Students in Transition. Her book Higher Education and First-Generation College Students: Cultivating Community, Voice and Place for the New Majority was published by Palgrave Macmillan.
She is regularly invited to speak at faculty and staff development institutes around the country at public, private and community colleges and has presented at numerous conferences including ASHE, FYE and AACU and NASPA. She has served on the board of the Journal of First Year Experience and is currently on the board of Journal of Learning Communities in Practice (LCRP) and Higher Education Research & Development (HERD).
Speaker Travels From
Rashné is available for virtual engagements! Contact us today.
First-generation students belonging in curriculum and pedagogy
First-generation students intersectionality—race, class, gender and immigrant perspectives
First-generation graduate students
First-generation students and undergraduate research programs
First-generation students and programmatic design, advising and career development
Books, News, & Media
Books & Monographs
- Jehangir, R., Stebleton, M.J. & Deenanath, V. (August 2015). An exploration of intersecting identities of first-generation, low-income college students. Monograph Report. Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina, National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience and Students in Transition. Stylus Press.
- Jehangir, R. (2010). Higher education and first-generation students: Cultivating community, voice and place for the new majority. New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan Press.
- Jehangir, R. & Collins, K. (In press). What’s in a Name? Narratives and Counter-Narratives of the First Generation Moniker. In Longwell- Grice, R., & Longwell- Grice, H. (Eds.) At the Intersection: First Generation Students and the Influence of Identities. Stylus Publishing.
- Jehangir, R. (2020).First-Generation Students. In Amey, M. & David. M (Eds.) SAGE Encyclopedia of Higher Education, 5v. SAGE Publications Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA 91320.
- Jehangir, R., & Deenanath, V. (2018). As they see it: First Generation College Students and Photo-voice. In Bell, A. & Santamaria, L.J (Eds.) Understanding Experiences of First Generation University Students: Culturally Responsive and Sustaining Methodologies (pp 164-189). London: Bloomsbury Publishing, 50 Bedford Square, London.
Click here to view a full list of Rashné Jehangir's published work.
Past Speaking Engagements
- Jehangir, R. (June 30, 2020). Plenary Speaker. Toward Full Citizenship for All Students in Higher Education: Mapping a Path Forward. 2020 Student Success in Higher Education, Virtual Conference, National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA)
- Jehangir, R. (June 27, 2020). Key Note Speaker. As I See It: First Generation College Students & Photo Narratives, Interactive Key Note Photo Voice Methodology. First-gen Forward Workshop, 2020 First-generation Student Success Conference, National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA).
- Jehangir, R. (June 2018). Key Note Speaker. First-Generation Strong: Upholding Our Commitment to First-Generation College Students. Inaugural system-wide forum on first-generation college students in the University of California, University of San Diego, CA.
- Jehangir, R. (June 1, 2018). Invited Speaker. Harnessing the capital of First Generation Students: Implications for pedagogy & Praxis. Faculty Development Symposium, University of California-Santa Cruz.
- Jehangir, R. (December 2017). Key Note Speaker. Complicating the Narrative of First Generation / Low Income Students. 3rd Annual Academic Advising Network sponsored by the Office of Undergraduate Education, University of Minnesota.
- Jehangir, R. (October 20, 2016). Key Note Speaker. Why Learning Communities Matter in the Age of Hyper-Connectivity. Atlantic Conference on Learning Communities, Hartford, Connecticut, United States.
- Jehangir, R. and Schoem. D. (October 2012). Invited Speaker for Pre-conference Workshop. Engaging Difference, Encouraging Dialogue, Cultivating Civic Engagement. AACU Conference on Diversity and Learning: Modeling Equity, Engaging Difference: New Frameworks for Diversity and Learning. Baltimore, MD.
More About The Speaker
View Rashné Jehangir's curriculum vitae here.
View Rashné Jehangir's website here.
Interested in having Rashné Jehangir, PhD. as a speaker at your next event, symposium or conference?