2018 Institute on First-Generation College Students
July 27-29, 2018
The Center is pleased to be a 2018 collaborative sponsor of the Institute on First-Generation College Students to be held July 27 - 29, 2018 at the University of South Carolina. Register today to join us for this opportunity!
The National Resource Center for The First-Year Experience and Students in Transition invites those interested in programs and initiatives for first-generation students to join us for the Institute on First-Generation Students. Institute faculty will build a framework for examining trends and practices connected to building a comprehensive and intentional approach to ensure the success of first-generation students.
Individual sessions are designed to build on one another so that participants leave with a personalized action plan for use on their home campuses. Modeling the active pedagogies we advocate for our classrooms, the Institute faculty employ group work, problem solving, case studies, discussion, and other active strategies to engage participants in learning.
Institute faculty include:
- Amy Baldwin, Director of University College - University of Central Arkansas
- Althea Counts, Director of TRiO Programs - University of South Carolina
- Jennifer Keup, Director, National Resource Center for The First-Year Experience and Students in Transition
- La'Tonya Rease Miles, Director, First Year Experience & Strategic Initiatives - University of California Los Angeles
- Dorothy Ward, Director, Entering Student Program - University of Texas, El Paso
- Sarah E. Whitley, Senior Director, Center for First-generation Student Success, NASPA
- James Winfield, Assistant Director for Faculty Development, University 101 Programs - University of South Carolina
For more information on the Institute and to register, click "Explore" below to visit the official webpage.
The Center for First-Generation Student Success is proud to support The National Resource Center for First-Year Experience and Students in Transition for the Institute on First-generation College Students. To celebrate our new partnership, the Center offered ONE FREE REGISTRATION to the 2018 Institute on First-Generation College Students, July 27-29 in Columbia, SC! The lucky winner is Jennifer Schoen from Northeastern University. Congratulations Jennifer, we look forward to seeing you this summer in Columnbia, SC.