Rowan University's First-Generation College Celebration
2021 First-Generation College Celebration
Coordinated by Flying First, Rowan University’s First Generation Task Force, students will celebrate being the “first to fly” with a daytime carnival with activities, departmental tabling, and food. The event will allow for first-generation students to socialize with their peers as well as open up dialogue between students, faculty, staff and administration about first-generation students’ experiences and needs on campus.
Some of the activities include, but are not limited to a photo booth, inflatables, popcorn, cotton candy, lawn games, and music. There will be significant intentionality of the support/resources we are offering during the tabling at the carnival.
Additionally, an evening panel discussion featuring first-generation members of our campus community and alumni to discuss their college experiences.
2019 First-Generation College Celebration
Rowan University is hosting a week-long celebration of programming that supports, uplifts, and brings awareness to the first-generation student community.
The week's events include a book dedication at the University library, a conversation about identifying as first-gen and other identities, a faculty session on advocating for first-generation students, a trivia night, a yoga session, and a workshop on understanding the college process for Rowan University employees.
The week will culminate in the First-Generation Learning Community Fall Festival, featuring hot cider, lawn games, and closing ceremonies.
2018 First-Generation College Celebration
Rowan University will celebrate first-generation students in the following ways:
- The President of the University will send a personal email to all first-generation students!
- There will be a Bulletin Board contest celebrating first-generation student in resident halls!
- First-generation students can make buttons with positive messages and wear them proudly!
- There will be a book display in library of first-generation graduate authors as well as books about first-generation students!
- There will be a Snapchat takeover on November 8, featuring stories by first-generation students, professors, and staff!